Labor Day weekend is the unofficial end of summer, (which I seriously cannot believe is already upon us) so why not bid it farewell with some summery-drink inspired cupcakes? Making minis gives the appearance that there are more and they tend to go a little farther, that’s my little party trick when I’m feeling lazy and don’t want to double my recipe. I also learned a new party trick this weekend – that bringing mini cupcakes to a pool party keeps you from being picked last for team games! I, of course, couldn’t resist the little American flag and lime toppers! Shoutout to my bestie for making those flags while I was recovering from our 7 mile run which kicked my butt!
Per usual, I used this basic white cake recipe for my base but changed it up quite a bit so be sure to follow these 4 steps to make sure you get the perfect mojito flavor and to gather the extras you need for the recipe:
- Substitute 1 tsp of the vanilla extract for mint extract. It gives the cupcakes a super minty flavor which really represents a mojito well!
- Add the zest of one lime, or approximately 1 TBSP lime zest to the batter after the addition of eggs and vanilla.
- When measuring the milk, fill your measuring cup to just below the 4oz (1/2 cup) line, add white rum until the liquid reaches the 4oz line. It should be approximately 2 TBSP of rum. We only had coconut milk in the house so that is what I used, and I think it gave a little extra oomph to the flavor combo!
- With minis you don’t need to bake for so long, only 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops bounce back when pressed lightly with one finger. That is my trick for testing doneness instead of using a toothpick!
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1.5 TBSP white rum
- 1 TBSP lime juice (juice of one lime)
- 1 tsp vanilla
Beat butter until creamy. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in rum, lime juice and vanilla. Frost your cupcakes and add decorations if desired.
- Mini lime wedges
It only took about 2 limes to get enough for the cupcakes after I cut them into about 32nds, we’re talking tiny lime wedges here. If you add the lime wedges you definitely want to refrigerate these little guys.
- American flag toothpicks
I couldn’t help myself with these for Labor Day weekend. I just searched for printable American flags used a glue stick to secure them to toothpicks. Simple and adorable!
Now sit back and savor this bittersweet long holiday weekend that wraps up the season with a few mini mojito cupcakes.
And if we’re being honest, a few real mojitos too! 😉